Saturday, July 26, 2008

My job as an auditor...for how long?

I have started working in BDO, one of big five accounting firms in Malaysia and around the world since 18 February 2008. It has been more than 5 months that I work as an audit associate (so called 'auditor"). This is also my first job after I graduated with an accounting degree from UTAR end of last year. What I have learned and did in the past 5 months? How long would I stay as an auditor? What is my future plan? A lot of questions flow into my mind. Let me try to answer here in my blog.

Of course, I have learned how to audit. I have audited small private companies, newly public listed company as well large public listed company which I have been auditing in the past two months. The industries involved included plantation, shipping, trading as well as property. It is a good experience for me to be involved and understand in different type of industries...I also did stutatory records audits for quite a number of companies. In addition, I also went to Sabah for 2 weeks to visit the plantation estates and mill. During that period, I have done test of control (including walkthrough), PPE signthing, employee sighting and so on. One of the works that I have not really good and try at is stocktake. I really hope that I will have a chance to do it very soon.

I think and expect that I will stay in audit line for at least 3 years to 5 years to learn as much as I can. By the time, I hope that I have passed all my acca papers. Then, I plan to go overseas to work for a period of time, say 1-2 years before coming back to Malaysia. What will happen later, I am not 100% sure. I am planning for it. I will let you guys know soon.

No comments: