Saturday, May 9, 2009

Wesak Day

Today is Wesak day which is also public holiday. It mekes no difference for us since it falls on Saturday and moreover, I am having 4 days ACCA P2 revision classes at Sunway from Thursday till this Sunday. Tired...but life goes on...

I did not go to any temple this usual for wesak day's celebration. Too bad. If you all don't know, I am a buddhist and believe in teachings of Buddha. And, I also respect other religions such as Islam, Christian, Hinduism and so on. Everyone has the freedom to choose the religion that he or she believes and would like to follow and there are also people who are free thinker!!!

I started to learn about teachings of buddhism during I was in secondary school in Brunei. I would follow my father to temple every week for praying and some buddhist activities. I continued to be involving in buddhist activities when I came to study in UTAR in kl for my degree programme. I was active in Buddhist society and was one of the committee members too. During the 3 years in UTAR, I attended alot of Dharma talks, organized a number of buddhist activities and so on.

However, after entered to the working world as an auditor upon graduation, I rarely joined buddhist activities and I would give reason like I am busy with work and also ACCA study and so on. I really would like to find some time to involve in these activities and other related social activiitws, Anyway, I do apply the buddha's teaching, doing what is right and avoid what is wrong and I applied it to my work and life as well, to be ethical and so on. Another way for continuing learning is to read more magazine of buddhist organizations, dharma books and so on.

Come to the topic (Wesak day), Wesak day is an annual holiday in many Asian countries including Malaysia. It is celebrated by Buddhists around May (15th of April, Chinese Lunar Calender). It marks three momentous events in Buddha's life which included his birthday, enlightenment and achievement of Nirvana.

Happy Wesak Day to all buddhists in Malaysia and all around the world!!!

No comments: